Wednesday 30 June 2010

Russian Children's Book Illustration, I











Just the beginning: images above from Russian Children's Picture Books in the 1920s & 1930s, catalogue for a joint exhibition between Ashiya City Museum, Ashiyaga Museum of Art and The Tokyo Met, published by Tankosha in 2004. I love this book so much that I feel like scanning/sharing every page, and maybe I eventually will. Many of its images are incredibly simple, use a minimum number of colours cleverly and are almost contemporary in style. Luckily I did not go to any of the exhibitions, as I probably would have hyperventilated and tried to set up permanent camp in the middle of the museum. Instead I scored this souvenir at the lovely Ariel in Sydney a year later. Much of the text is in Japanese, although there are some essays in English at the back of the book too.
Add Image

2 comments:

Kickcan & Conkers said...

I Love this! It's a shmae you didn't see / buy Redstone's Russian Diary - Russian chidren's books 1920-1935, this year (I think they've sold out now). It's full of these beautiful images.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hi Deborah, yes, I know that diary! I was proud of the self-discipline that I displayed by leaving it in the shop, as unfortunately I already had one for 2010. But it was sooo special, I agree...