Thursday 1 September 2011

Take one National Geographic

Above: Queen Salote of Tonga (1900-1965).  I would love to sit this next to a fancy portrait of Queen Elizabeth II!
Above: "Riding a king size board, the 325-pound Taufa'ahau surfs the Pacific combers.  The monarch also delights in fishing and scuba diving."
 Above: Mobile, Alabama: "Resplendent in satin, Mattie L. Jones arrives at the coronation ball of the Colored Carnival Association."
 Above: the crowning of the Shah of Iran in the Amjadieh Stadium in Tehran.
 Above: Hello!  Observing a sheep auction in Oban, Scotland.
Above: an advertisement for the Admiral remote control, showing The Cortez Model, the "biggest picture in color TV" at 23 inches.
 Above: a Massey-Ferguson tractor advertisement.
I love my collection of National Geographics, all purchased from the Cheltenham Op Shop many years ago.  All of the photos here are from the March 1968 issue.  Great cover, too.

6 comments:

Lambert said...

I love the official portrait of the queen of Tonga, the colors are just perfect from her blouse, her layered skirt ,the rug and background drop .. best of all her smile!

Sandra Eterovic said...

I'm so glad you like her Lambert -- I could see her inspiring one of your beautiful bags actually....

Alice said...

Excelente colección de imágenes... todas parecen querer convertirse en una "increíble obra de Sandra"!!!

Sandra Eterovic said...

You are so sweet Alice! I would love for that to happen. Magically. ;)

Vere Pahulu said...

Wow Sandra!! I agree with Lambert about the portrait of the Late Queen Salote, it's beautiful and I've never seen it before.
Thanks for sharing...

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thank you Vere! I am really glad that you like her. The more I look at that photo the more I love it too. :)